Catherine Daniel Ceramics

Hello and welcome to my blog where I share some of the thought processes and textile/quilting inspirations behind my ceramic art, and occasionally other random topics!
For more details and pictures of my ceramic creations, please see my website -

catherinedanielceramics.com



Monday 14 June 2010

Waste Not .... Want Not

This is the large bowl I made for which I originally made the tiny acorns (see previous post). I often embellish my work by attaching buttons, or other bits and bobs. This was an autumn piece with oak leaves and so ... the acorns.

I often have scraps of clay left over from a making session. Many potters just throw left-overs into a bin for recycling at a later date. I don't have the space for that, so I use up every last tiny itsy bitsy morcel of clay before I finish up. Its not that I'm mean, or anything. Just can't stand waste. (I'm the type that saves bits of ribbon off chocolate boxes just because).

I wonder if all the textile crafters, quilters and such have mountains of tiny fabric scraps which they can't bring themselves to discard.

So ... what to do with all the remnants of clay? Make beads? Buttons? Acorns (again)? Or - maybe - I thought one day - earrings! Well - I had fun making these, but I couldn't really get into jewellery making and so they are still sitting there looking at me. I think I may just attach them to the rim of a large bowl - or something. Not sure yet.



But, I have absolutely no idea what I was thinking when I made these little toadstools - must have just been in the mood for fiddling about. They range from two centimetres high all the way to three centimeters high. They sit in a little white bowl on my desk here and make me smile. They are ridiculously silly and cute.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for the acorns Cathy and I can certainly use some of the earrings to add to my textiles too. I'm sure others could add them to mixed media pieces.

    ReplyDelete