Catherine Daniel Ceramics

Hello and welcome to my blog where I share some of the thought processes and textile/quilting inspirations behind my ceramic art, and occasionally other random topics!
For more details and pictures of my ceramic creations, please see my website -

catherinedanielceramics.com



Tuesday 8 October 2013

Family Tree

So, after all this time, I finally got around to making something for my parents!  It was long overdue, but I didn't have to think very hard about what it should be.  Like most of us, family is everything to them, so I attempted to represent their/our/my family onto a large plate.



It started life as a round slab onto which I impressed all the names.  I soon realised that I would really need something the size of a dustbin lid to fit even my immediate family - my parents, my siblings and their children.



The plan was for two main inter-twined branches (mum and dad), with four off-shoots (me and my brothers and sister), and then their kids. 


In the end, the whole thing grew and grew til it just resembled a large over-grown bush!



I wasn't able to be there on their anniversary when it was opened, but I have it on good authority that it made my mum cry ..... in a good way.

And maybe I have created something that will be handed down through the generations - a future family heirloom?  Who knows!

 x Cathy




20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is utterly beautiful, I am not surprised at all that your mum cried. Its a piece made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There'll be a family squabble about who inherits it if you aren't careful - I'm sure the whole family will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely gift that is for the ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is brilliant Cathy , it will be very well treasured, so unique!
    Heatherx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely.I have told my OH that I want him to commission you to make me a plate for my next "landmark" birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous, I'm not surprised she cried. I'm sure it will be treasured and handed down the generations for many many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful piece Cathy - truly a family heirloom to be treasured. No wonder your Mum cried! You are so so clever. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so beautiful, no wonder your mum cried. An heirloom indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an amazing idea and so beautifully executed. It will be a treasured family heirloom for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it's gorgeous. I love it. What a lovely anniversary present.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! And of course it is a heirloom - we don't feel it like this because it is like "phew, that's easy, everybody can do this" which is not true. It is very special what you do! And it doesn't hurt that it is beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, how thoughtful and creative of you to make something that they will always treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, and well done on designing something so complex to be so easily comprehended :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous plate and such a lovely idea, wish I had thought of designing a special family tree plate for my parents' golden wedding anniversary in the summer,. It is beautiful and I love the colours on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous plate and such a lovely idea, wish I had thought of designing a special family tree plate for my parents' golden wedding anniversary in the summer,. It is beautiful and I love the colours on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely Cathy, what a wonderful and personal gift for your parents, they must have been so thrilled with it.
    I'm sure it will be treasured and handed down the generations. The design and colours are lovely!

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh it nearly made me cry, it's beautiful! What a wonderful gift and a family heirloom for sure. x

    ReplyDelete